I Just do what the Bible says (do you?)
A New Bible Study Series looking at the 1689 Baptist Confession of faith
Wednesday 22 May
Christ the Mediator
- Can you list three things Jesus achieved on the cross (in relation to God, to man or both)?
- Was the Lord Jesus a real Man or did He, (as some have taught) only ‘appear to be a Man’ Are there verses that indicate His true Humanity?
- Why do we say Jesus is the God/Man AND NOT that He has the personality of God and a separate personality for Man?
- Who really killed Jesus and what does it tell us about the need of the atonement? (Jesus dying on the cross for our sins)
- What is ‘particular redemption’? Over the centuries good Christians have fallen out over their views on this teaching, what should be our approach?
through the lens of the Bible.
Wednesday 15 May
If not for Adam…
- Why should the whole of the human race be condemned for the original sinful behaviour of Adam and Eve and wouldn’t it have been easier if God simply forgave Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden?
- How would you biblically explain the word ‘sin’?
- In what sense are we ‘better’ than Adam?
- Read Ephesians 2.12. Can you think of any Old Testament characters who God made promises to (agreements/covenants)?
- Why should Christians rejoice at the covenants of God?
Meeting his brothers again, who had treated him so cruelly, Joseph assures them with the following words: “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good…” (Genesis 50.20). But what does this actually mean? How can we as Christians, draw comfort from the sovereign pronouncements of our Almighty God?
Wednesday 8th May, we’ll be considering God’s decrees (pronouncements/declarations) and the will of man.
- What is the difference between what man says and what God decrees?
- Does God act based on what He sees will happen in the future?
- If God decrees everything (declares what will happen) why did He create Satan?
- If God elects people for salvation (saves people because He chose them to be saved) does it mean He elected people to hell?
- What is Hyper-Calvinism and how can we combat it?
Wednesday 1st May – Part 2 – The Trinity
- If Christians believe in one God, why does the Bible speak about the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?
- What do we mean by “Person” when we talk about the Trinity?
- Is the Holy Spirit a Person? Where does the Bible show this?
- True or False? There is no ‘Trinity’ in the Old Testament.
- What Bible verse would you use as strongest proof of the Trinity?
- What are the main roles of each Person (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) in the Trinity?
Questions for Further Study:
1. In what sense can you speak of a general Fatherhood of God?
1 Cor 8:6; Eph 3:14,15; Heb 12:9; James 1:17; Num 16:22
2. Can you prove the deity of the incarnate Son?
John 1:1; 20:28; Phil 2:6; Titus 2:13; Jer 23:5, 6; Isa 9:6; John 1:3; Rev 1:8; Col 1:17; John 14:1; 2 Cor 2:10,11.
3. How do the following passages prove the personality of the Holy Spirit?
Gen 1:2; 6:3; Luke 12:12; John 14:26; 15:26; 16:8; Acts 8:29; 13:2; Rom 8:11; 1 Cor 2:10,11.
4. What works are ascribed to the Spirit?
Psa 33:6; 104:30; Ex 28:3; 2 Pet 1:21; 1 Cor 3:16; 12:4
Wednesday 24th April – Part 1 – The Holy Scriptures
- What on earth is a ‘Confession of faith’ and why do we need one?
- Who wrote the Bible anyway, isn’t most of it just the thoughts of men?
- How would you respond to somebody who angrily says “I don’t need no Bible to reveal to me when I’ve done something wrong”? Is there any truth in that statement?
- My Muslim friend says that the Bible has been changed (because of all the different versions) What can I say to him?